2024 exams available to book now!!
We run separate 11+ mock exams for Colyton and Torquay. Here's why...
Colyton Grammar School and Torquay Grammar School use different exam boards. Colyton uses Future Stories and Torquay uses GL and so we run separate 11+ mock exams.
The Colyton 11+ Exam
Colyton Grammar School uses Future Stories for their 11+ Exam. Students sit the exam in the September of Yr6 for entry into Yr7.
Students sit three exam papers covering English, Maths and Creative Writing.
- English: This includes reading comprehension questions, synonyms, antonyms and cloze texts (texts with missing words or letters).
- Maths: The content is in line with the National Curriculum and covers a variety of curriculum areas.
- Creative writing from a prompt
Answers are recorded onto separate answer sheets. Papers 1 and 2 are separated into timed sections, and each section focusses on a different English or Maths skill. There are a mix of multiple choice and write-in answers (with boxes for numbers or letters). In paper 3, students produce a piece of writing from a prompt.
Future Stories is a Community Enterprise Entrance Test for Schools. It is currently used, and owned by, Reading School.
The Torquay 11+ Exam
The Torquay Grammar schools use GL for their 11+ Exams. Students sit the exam in the September of Yr6 for entry into Yr7.
Students sit two exam papers, one covering English and the other covering Maths.
English: This includes reading comprehension questions, spelling, grammar and punctuation questions.
Maths: The content is in line with the National Curriculum and covers a variety of curriculum areas.
Answers are recorded onto separate answer sheets. These are entirely multiple choice papers, each lasting around 50 minutes with a short break between each one paper.
Why sit mock exams?
How will I get feedback?
- scores and percentages for each section of the exam
- overall exam analysis highlighting areas of strength and areas for development
- an indication of where your child scored alongside the others doing the exam that day
- age comparison included in the results
- Students who sit the Colyton mock exams will also receive feedback on their writing.
- Your child will take the exam papers and the answer booklet away with them on the day.
How many exams should I book?
We recommend your child sits at least 4 mock exams, although more will improve their confidence greatly as they will be exposed to a wider variety of the styles of questions asked. Results show that children who sit more exams have a greater chance of success in the real exam.
Our advice is to book exams in April and May to establish areas on which to work. This will give you plenty of time to identify those topics that need brushing up. If you are able to do this at home, brilliant! If you need a bit of support, remember that we have outstanding qualified Tutors. Click here for more information.
You should also book in late August and September to cement your child’s confidence. As these are just a few weeks or days before the real exams, they are invaluable in reassuring your child that the work and effort of the past year has been worth it. They can settle all nerves ahead of the final day.
You can choose as many exams as you want in between those dates. Remember every paper is different, so the more exams your child sits, the greater exposure they will have to the different question types and topics.
How long are the exams?
The Torquay exams take approximately 2 hours 10 minutes to complete, including a short break.
The Colyton exam will take approximately 3 hours to complete, including short breaks.
Where are the exams held?
Book your mock 11+ exams here
- Your child does not need to be studying with us – anyone can sit our mock exams.
- There is no need to register to sit our mock exams – simply book mock exams securely online.
- Places are limited and you should book early to avoid disappointment.
- Please make all bookings in advance. No cash on the day. Please see our refunds & cancellation policy*
- This booking will appear as The Exam Suite Ltd on your credit card statement.
- It will not be possible to switch from one mock exam to another. If you book a date in error, you will need to cancel your booking (via email) and rebook the correct date via the website. This will incur a cancellation fee.
Can my child sit both the Torquay and Colyton 11+ exam?
Yes! Your child can prepare for both schools! It is extremely likely (as in previous years) that The Torquay 11+ exam and the Colyton Grammar School 11+ exam will take place on different Saturdays in September. Just remember to complete a separate application forms for both schools by visiting their websites.
Julia, 11+ parent – October 2019
“Really well organised. Very quick turnaround of results. Essential experience for students planning to sit the exam“
Emily, 11+ parent – October 2022
“Highly recommend! If you are serious about sending your child to Grammar school the 11+ mocks are a must.“
Lawrence, 11+ parent – October 2022